Friday, September 24, 2010

Good Intentions

One thing about good intentions...they don't usually turn out the way you want them to! It's like, sometimes I know that other people do things with good intentions, yet it still irritates me that they are doing it. Same thing with my good intentions to eat healthy and walk...of course I WANT to do them, but taking those good intentions and making them a good reality are two totally different parts of the process.

So after reading Week 2 of Elaine's Corner, I realized that my goals weren't very SMART. Now, I have used the SMART system before and thought I was doing a pretty good job of setting goals. My exercise goal is SMART. I set time frames and it was measurable, however I just didn't do it. Partly because I am still so tired, but that is getting better! I was going to walk tonight but decided to fold laundry instead. So anyway, back to the SMART goal. I know I need to revise my "eat healthier" goal, so here goes.

One thing I know about myself, and probably every single person out there, is that I cannot just overhaul my whole life at once. So I am going to break this down even further. I can't just say I am going to choose healthier foods, because it is still ok to have my treats every once in awhile. I am not going to drive myself nuts feeling guilty for having ice cream cake (last night) to celebrate my good grades this last quarter (still managed an A and a B- even with the new baby!!). The easiest meal for me to eat healthier is breakfast. Today, for example, I chose my Quaker Oatmeal Squartes over the Coco Puffs. Much better, right? I am sure I can still do better than that, but honestly I don't always have much time. I am working on even getting the whole family to have healthier breakfasts. Lunch, dinner, and snacks are where I really struggle. I am going to focus for the next 2 weeks on having a healthier lunch. Choosing whole grains, veggies, and fruits over the processed boxed food like my daughter's favorite: mac and cheese. After 2 weeks of focusing on lunch, I will focus on snacks for 2 weeks. I know that during this process I may naturally start to snack healthier or make better dinners just because I will want to feel better, but they will each have their own 2 weeks for me to really focus on accomplishing them.

So the past 2 days I have spent slaving away in the kitchen. I made 2 great low calorie, low glycemic soups to freeze (it would have been 3 but I ran out of time!). I made a yummy low calorie chow mein (also low sodium!) for dinner. We did top it off with ice cream cake, but like I said before, not gonna beat myself up over it! I also made a batch of peanut butter oatmeal cookies. Today I made tuna hotdish for dinner (only had a small portion of it) and made 2 batches of cookies, sugar and vanilla. Now, the cookies are for my husband and daughter to take in their lunches. Of course I know I will be eating them too, so after today my limit on cookies is 2 per day. I didn't eat much of anything healthy today (my mom was baking too!) so when I got hungry this evening I made myself a turkey wrap with spinach and a little cheese. I know I still need the calories, so again I am still not calorie counting, just making a healthier choice.

Tomorrow is Rennaissance Festival (if the roads aren't closed due to the rivers rising), so that will be my walking. I am bringing the baby to wear in the sling, so I know I will be tired by the end of the day! He gets heavy fast! If I don't end up going, I will walk at least 30 minutes on the treadmill. I know that blogging in the evenings really helps. It also helps to make these a little shorter! I will try to get on here to blog every evening. My evenings are just usually taken up by the little man wanting to nurse the whole time, which makes it difficult to type! So at least every other evening. I don't typically like to journal my food on here, but if it helps more I may end up doing that. Still haven't decided on that one yet. My last goal is water intake. It has to be up since I am nursing, but on days like today having a solid goal amount will make it easier to do. I am pretty sure I HAVE to get at LEAST a gallon a day! I fill up my awesome Camelbak which holds 24 oz at least 4 times a day if I can, sometimes 5. So I will make my goal 5 a day.

I am feeling really good about myself these past few days. I know part of it is catching up on sleep some. The other part is I know my 6 week visit is coming up. Sometime this next week I am going to figure out rewards for my weight loss progress. Once I can figure out how to put tabs on the top of this blog....still trying to figure out how it all works :) Well, I must get some sleep since little man is sleeping now!

No comments:

Post a Comment